Discussion: how long has Reid been on the team?Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 20 of 33  |  Show  posts at a time
2 | Next
abbeysapprentice
abbeysapprentice
how long has Reid been on the team?
Jun 24 2008, 2:20 AM EDT | Post edited: Jun 24 2008, 2:20 AM EDT
okay, first off, Reid is my all time favourite ever! But i'm a little confused about how long he's been on the team. Hotch says that he's made his life living hell for the last three years in L.D.S.K. in series 1 but a friend told me he's introduced as the new guy to the team in a flashback to 4 years ago in series 3. I'm in the U.K so we haven't had this episode yet but it confused me. likewise, my friend said that Reid had been clean for 10 months which means that it's been nearly a year since he was kidnapped. I'm trying to work out the continuity. I know it doesn't really matter, but it just confused me! Help! 5  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    
batgurl88
batgurl88
1. RE: how long has Reid been on the team?
Jun 24 2008, 11:41 AM EDT | Post edited: Jun 24 2008, 11:41 AM EDT
Both are right. I've always gone along with the info from LDSK, but the newer episode (Tabula Rasa) *does* seem to indicate that he'd been there only a year before the start of the series (all they say is that he's the "newest" member, though, so how long could be anyone's guess).

I've heard some speculation that the writers changed Reid's timeline to make it more realistic (going along with LDSK, Reid would've joined the Bureau around 21, which isn't really allowed). There were also guesses that Hotch purposely lied about how long Reid had been there in order to make it sound better (*three* lousy years instead of one). But the timelines on so many characters have been screwed six ways from Sunday, so I guess it's just whatever you feel like believing.

As for the 10 months thing, if you go with the assumption that Reid quit using after 'Jones' (and you can only really guess at this, since it's never been confirmed *when* he was and wasn't using), then ten months from then seems somewhat reasonable. They like to do funny things with the calendar on CM. For instance, there are four episodes in season 3 that are supposed to happen in a single month, but there's a lapse of four months between the first and second episodes of season 2. You'll hurt yourself if you think about it too hard ;)
Do you find this valuable?    
jareaufan
jareaufan
2. RE: how long has Reid been on the team?
Jun 24 2008, 2:00 PM EDT | Post edited: Jun 24 2008, 2:00 PM EDT
Continuity is never really ever continuity, no matter what the show is, or how great the writers are.

I just like to say he's been there about four years.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
abbeysapprentice
abbeysapprentice
3. RE: how long has Reid been on the team?
Jun 25 2008, 12:32 AM EDT | Post edited: Jun 25 2008, 12:32 AM EDT
so it's basically just that the writers don't know themselves? Great! If they can't make up their minds then how are lowly mortals such as ourselves supposed to keep track?!? oh well, four years sounds good. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
batgurl88
batgurl88
4. RE: how long has Reid been on the team?
Jun 25 2008, 1:26 AM EDT | Post edited: Jun 25 2008, 1:26 AM EDT
"so it's basically just that the writers don't know themselves? Great! If they can't make up their minds then how are lowly mortals such as ourselves supposed to keep track?!?"
lol if you ever *really* want to confuse yourself, try figuring out Hotch's timeline.

And I don't think it's that the writers don't know, but that they keep forgetting and getting mixed up. Or maybe they just enjoy screwing with our heads....
jareaufan
jareaufan
5. RE: how long has Reid been on the team?
Jun 25 2008, 3:37 AM EDT | Post edited: Jun 25 2008, 3:37 AM EDT
It's only normal human error. No television timeline is perfect, ever.

If someone can give me one that is, I owe them my gratitude.
Bessie_Mae
Bessie_Mae
6. RE: how long has Reid been on the team?
Jun 25 2008, 4:11 AM EDT | Post edited: Jun 25 2008, 4:11 AM EDT
I think Hotch's timeline could win an award in sheer screwed-upedness. Reid's actually pretty consistent, especially if you go with the explanation that Hotch was lying in LDSK. And, occasionally, I think they forget that he graduated high school at 12. But, aside from the years on the team, I can't think of any discrepancies in dates with him.

Now, Hotch. Won't even get into half the stuff. But, being only a year older than Prentiss (as shown by his year book - high school) and Prentiss' goth photo? And, already doing security detail for her mother? But, that's probably because they decided in season 1 to make Hotch fairly younger than TG - and then rapidly aged him to be more realistic.

I still think the writers failed math. Just find the thread on Unfinished Business and there's a whole discussion on that.
abbeysapprentice
abbeysapprentice
7. RE: how long has Reid been on the team?
Jun 25 2008, 8:01 AM EDT | Post edited: Jun 25 2008, 8:01 AM EDT
I honestly didn't notice that! wow! I guess i just focus on Reid more because he is so cute! Hotch's timeline is wierd then, maybe we should just assume that a time warp opened sometime during season 2 and all the continuity went bye-bye. oh well, i guess it doesn't really make much of a difference in the long run. Even if the timeline doesn't work, the show still rules! Do you find this valuable?    
Bessie_Mae
Bessie_Mae
8. RE: how long has Reid been on the team?
Jun 25 2008, 11:31 AM EDT | Post edited: Jun 25 2008, 11:31 AM EDT
Well, there is one thing about Reid's timeline. Might not even be a mistake, but would Reid really have been in a classroom where officer friendly handed out coloring books about stranger danger? Assuming you could count backwards from when he graduated high school, Reid would have been in 5th or 6th grade when he *started* school. Isn't that a little late for coloring books? Wouldn't they have done something more advanced with older kids if they came at all? Do you find this valuable?    
batgurl88
batgurl88
9. RE: how long has Reid been on the team?
Jun 25 2008, 1:16 PM EDT | Post edited: Jun 25 2008, 1:16 PM EDT
Well, that's making the assumption that Reid was put ahead in school as soon as he entered. For all we know, he might've gone for a few years before some teacher or his parents decided it would be better for him to skip a few grades (I know people who weren't put ahead until 6th or 7th grade for various reasons). But yes, it also might've been another oversight by the writers.

I love that line, though. For some reason, I go all fangirl when I hear Reid talking about stranger danger colouring books - I guess it's just the fact that he was playing with pencil crayons while Gideon and some of the others were already fighting crime. He's so adorable! (fangirl moment over now.)
batgurl88
batgurl88
10. RE: how long has Reid been on the team?
Jul 30 2008, 8:27 AM EDT | Post edited: Jul 30 2008, 8:27 AM EDT
Alright, something occurred to me today about the proposed 'Tabula Rasa' timeline. This may or may not be a mistake (or maybe I'm just not thinking clearly), but Reid was new to the team in the flashback (1 year before the show). And the flashback occurred when Gideon was on his 6mos of medical leave (and a bit of a ways into it, I would think, since Morgan didn't look creeped out over Boston like we knew he was in Extreme Aggressor and Hotch was quite comfortable in the role of leader).

But if Reid was new to the team when Gideon was already on medical leave, how is it that Reid had such a close relationship with him at the start of the series? (He called him "boss" in a familiar type of way, referred to how Gideon "always" introduces him as 'Dr. Reid', etc). Reid wasn't an outgoingly friendly type of person at the start of the series (very shy), so he'd only be comfortable around people he'd known for a while. He wouldn't have been working with him closely while Gideon was taking time off, and even when Gideon was teaching there's no real reason why Reid'd go and visit him if they weren't already close.

So, did the writers decide to retroactively eliminate Gideon? Or was Hotch's comment about Reid being the "newest member" just implying "newest since the last body turned up" or something? Or merely another case of inconsisten backstory? This may just be my tired brain making things more confusing than they need to be, so anyone who can throw in an opinion to make sense of this would be greatly appreciated.
Bessie_Mae
Bessie_Mae
11. RE: how long has Reid been on the team?
Jul 30 2008, 9:29 AM EDT | Post edited: Jul 30 2008, 9:29 AM EDT
Could Gideon have literally been one of Reid's teachers? Gideon taught classes even as far as season 2 - He brought the Chaplin tapes in Legacy for his class to watch. Reid could have been in one of Gideon's classes while he was training for the FBI, and they could have bonded. Reid would have been the youngest there, which would make him stand out, plus I think Reid is the same age as Gideon's son.

Also, it's possible Reid didn't take the normal route towards becoming a profiler. He technically is too young to be a profiler. He turned 24 in the pilot and you have to be 23 to be a special agent and then have 3 years experience. So, maybe Gideon recommended Reid to Hotch and then Hotch convinced the higher ups to make an exception? Which wouldn't happen in real life, but it's tv and it's pretty plausible that they would consider Reid's skills special enough that it would be a mistake to wait. So, maybe Reid knew Gideon first and then through Gideon, he was fast tracked into the BAU, and the Tabula Rasa case was his first one.

batgurl88
batgurl88
12. RE: how long has Reid been on the team?
Jul 30 2008, 10:04 AM EDT | Post edited: Jul 30 2008, 10:04 AM EDT
Hmmm that might make sense. I know he's too young to be a profiler, so it'd make sense if he somehow fastracked. And having him know Gideon from his classes would work, since I could see Gideon taking a special interest in the incredibly-young-know-it-all-in-the-front-row. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
jareaufan
jareaufan
13. RE: how long has Reid been on the team?
Jul 30 2008, 10:44 AM EDT | Post edited: Jul 30 2008, 10:44 AM EDT
That seems right to me. Gideon as the teacher who helped Reid get his footing within the FBI. =] 1  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
batgurl88
batgurl88
14. RE: how long has Reid been on the team?
Sep 19 2008, 10:15 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 19 2008, 10:15 AM EDT
Okay, so this is probably more of an inconsistency with 'The Fisher King' storyline than an actual timeline problem, but something else occurred to me:

In 'TFK(2)', Randall Garner is said to have been in Bennington with Reid's mom from 1996-2001. During that time, he learned of Reid's team and their secrets (like JJ collecting butterflies). BUT this would make Reid 20yrsold *at most* when he joined the BAU, and it also puts JJ with the team at that point (which we know she wasn't because she didn't know the team's case in 'Tabula Rasa').

This seems to suggest a *third* possible timeline, since 'LDSK' says Hotch only knew Reid for 3yrs before the series (suggesting he joined in 2002), and 'Tabula Rasa' indicates Reid joined in 2004.

LOL I should probably just give up trying to make sense of it. Either the writers made a mistake at some point or they just like screwing around with our heads - either way, there's probably no right answer... :)
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
Bessie_Mae
Bessie_Mae
15. RE: how long has Reid been on the team?
Sep 19 2008, 10:37 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 19 2008, 10:37 AM EDT
I vote for screwing around with our heads. Soon, there's going to be an episode where Prentiss talks about how her mother was a stay at home mom, just to add one more bit of confusion for everyone.

But, wait. Randall Garner got out of the sanitarium in 2001? So he was free all that time, but didn't put his plan into motion until 2005??? My head! The confusion hurts. Ah, well. At least the montage at the end was cool.
wensmcg
wensmcg
16. RE: how long has Reid been on the team?
Sep 25 2008, 10:45 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 25 2008, 10:45 AM EDT
I have a related confusion about the timeline with Reid. He said in the Girl in the Mall episode that he didn't start noticing girls until he was about 13 yrs old, he graduated from high school at 12. so what age was he when he got tied to the goal post? If he wasn't yet into girls why would he have gone to meet a girl? Or would it have been junior college? (I dont really understand the american school system sorry). Thanks to anyone for clarification. Wxx Do you find this valuable?    
batgurl88
batgurl88
17. RE: how long has Reid been on the team?
Sep 25 2008, 2:15 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 25 2008, 2:15 PM EDT
"I have a related confusion about the timeline with Reid. He said in the Girl in the Mall episode that he didn't start noticing girls until he was about 13 yrs old, he graduated from high school at 12. so what age was he when he got tied to the goal post? If he wasn't yet into girls why would he have gone to meet a girl? Or would it have been junior college? (I dont really understand the american school system sorry). Thanks to anyone for clarification. Wxx"
IMO, this makes it official. Reid's messed-up timeline is starting to rival Hotch's. I think the writers have given up any semblance of continuity in such areas and are just writing whatever sounds good each episode. ;)
HonourSociety
HonourSociety
18. RE: how long has Reid been on the team?
Oct 26 2008, 11:59 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 26 2008, 11:59 AM EDT
There's one episode that says when be begun working in the BAU - it was '02 or '04 I can't remember. 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
batgurl88
batgurl88
19. RE: how long has Reid been on the team?
Oct 26 2008, 12:05 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 26 2008, 12:05 PM EDT
"There's one episode that says when be begun working in the BAU - it was '02 or '04 I can't remember."
That's what we've been discussing - one episode ('LDSK') says that he would've joined around 2002, and another ('Tabula Rasa') seems to indicate that he joined in 2004. And there've been another couple of episodes along the way that indicated alternative timelines.
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
2 | Next

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)