Discussion: Aspergers?Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 41 - 60 of 104  |  Show  posts at a time
Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next > Last

lexiepedia
40. RE: Aspergers?
Aug 2 2010, 2:35 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 2 2010, 2:35 PM EDT
One of the most significant aspects of Asperger's Syndrome is the inability to pick up on social cues. They can't detect sadness, or sympathy, anger or empathy. They don't relate the physical aspects to the feelings, but this is the entire basis of behavior analysis. Reid wouldn't be able to do his job if he had Asperger's. 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
suceress
suceress
41. RE: Aspergers?
Aug 7 2010, 9:30 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 7 2010, 9:30 AM EDT
"One of the most significant aspects of Asperger's Syndrome is the inability to pick up on social cues. They can't detect sadness, or sympathy, anger or empathy. They don't relate the physical aspects to the feelings, but this is the entire basis of behavior analysis. Reid wouldn't be able to do his job if he had Asperger's. "
Exactly!! He would be at a disadvantage. The BAU needs people who are naturally good at observation and can pick up on nonverbal cues.
Do you find this valuable?    

Illya-fan
42. RE: Aspergers?
Aug 13 2010, 12:39 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 13 2010, 12:39 AM EDT
"Exactly!! He would be at a disadvantage. The BAU needs people who are naturally good at observation and can pick up on nonverbal cues. "
I do not agree with that at all. you are right that they need peop;e who are naturally good at observation and people with asperger can (sometimes) find small clues more easely.
I have asperger and read a lot about it. I even talked about it with my psychiatrist and he said that he shows enough symtoms to be diagnosed but his social skills grow way to fast. however you don't really know how mutch time is between cases.

I can read people better then "normal" people because I've learened knowingly. it takes a lot of time and effort but it goes a lot faster if getting it right means not getting beat up (I know were I'm talking about)

also about 95% of people who are that smart have a form of autism.

my conclution:
reid has asperger but the writers take artistic licence with some of the autistic. they can't write by everything.. then we won't have anything to talk about.
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
Agita
Agita
43. RE: Aspergers?
Aug 15 2010, 2:12 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 15 2010, 2:12 PM EDT
I totally agree with you. A bit of lapse and/or artistic license. These guys are only writers, not psychologists. But they still did a good enough job with the character that after watching one episode with him in it I jumped off the couch yelling 'Holy frick, I'm like that! He's an ASPIE!' Hell yeah, someone I can relate to! Aspies can very often find it hard to read between the lines sometimes, but at others they see the small details other people miss (being quite analytical). It is upsetting when people yell at me because I see all the small things and miss the bigger picture or the blatantly obvious. I'm highly intelligent but appear to have no common sense whatsoever sometimes ^^;;;;. Reid has artificially LEARNED to read people's facial expressions well and work out why they do the things they do, but STILL doesn't realise people are getting pissed off during his little monologues (which I do...) People with aspergers basically are wired in such a way that they see the world from a very different angle. An angle that can make me feel stupid and alienated sometimes, but an angle that the BAU could use if nobody else they have can see things from that perspective. That, my friends, is when you have covered all the bases. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

vjfoley
44. RE: Aspergers?
Aug 21 2010, 3:12 AM EDT | Post edited: Aug 21 2010, 3:12 AM EDT
I think the social awkwardness & unique habits simply come from being abandoned by his father, & being raised by a mother who was a genius & seriously mentally ill. In flashbacks to his childhood, Spencer, speaks, dresses, & acts like an adult. In one flashback when he tells his mother he wants to go out & play w/ what sounds like a child his age, she asks him stay w/ her instead & let her read to him
Spencer was very intuitive a child, if his charter was meant to be even an extremely high functioning adult aspie, he would have had issues has a child & his schizophrenic mother who couldn't take care of herself would not have been able to raise him to over come it. Remember, after his father left when he was very young, Spencer is the one who keep his mother the house together until he was old to have her committed when he was 18 so she could treatment & he could have a life.

Actually that's even one more point against him being aspie because if he had managed to keep things together as he was growing up, he wouldn't have sent his mother to a mental hospital, just as soon as he was old enough to, that would have been to huge of a change in his life. At that point he could have easily kept things going they way they always had.

There a numerous reasons for people to have aspie type behaviors & habits. Social awkwardness is not only for people a certain syndrome, disease, or mental illness. I think Spencer has many aspie traits because the writers & the actor are trying to pull little pieces from various real geniuses to round out the made up charter. Many real life geniuses have been & are people w/ Aspergers, Schizophrenia, & other diseases, mental illnesses, syndromes & so on that make them unique, different, & challenged beyond their genius.

KateAdams04
45. RE: Aspergers?
Feb 15 2011, 6:04 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 15 2011, 6:04 PM EST
"Do you think Dr Spencer Reid has, or is meant to show symptoms, of Asperger's Syndrome?
I know a few "Aspies" and Reid seems to show some of the characteristics, so i was just wondering.
Thanks"
I think that he does. I myself have Asperger's, in a not-so-serious case. I think that Reid has the same thing that I do. We can talk to people abotu things we are interested in, but other things are....gone to us. We have issues explaining out feelings/thoughts....and I could just go on forever. He does have empathy, which is normal in some cases.

That is just....what I think....I thought it would be good for you to know.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

KateAdams04
46. RE: Aspergers?
Feb 15 2011, 6:07 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 15 2011, 6:07 PM EST
"One of the most significant aspects of Asperger's Syndrome is the inability to pick up on social cues. They can't detect sadness, or sympathy, anger or empathy. They don't relate the physical aspects to the feelings, but this is the entire basis of behavior analysis. Reid wouldn't be able to do his job if he had Asperger's. "
I agree with you...it is true that it is hard for empathy and such. But, as i say later on, I have minor Asperger's myself. I can still feel bad if something happens, but I can't express it often or easily. I do not feel that connection on that level that people have.

Reid has the same thing, I think.
redk5
redk5
47. RE: Aspergers?
Feb 22 2011, 11:17 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 22 2011, 11:17 AM EST
"Come on now. I have Asperger's Syndrome and one of the reasons I got hooked on the show (apart from my obsession with being analytical) was the fact I could identify with Reid so easily. He is my favourite character and of of the more believably played AS people on TV. He doesn't flap or rock or anything but every so often one of his behaviours stands out that remind you he has a disability. All his little habits and idiosynchrasies, I do them and my mother still thinks it's hilarious. He's socially awkward, shows symptoms of OCD, highly intelligent, tends to ramble on in his train of thought and no notice if people are still paying attention, he can often miss the point and people's hints can go way over his head, his speech pattern... *blah blah blah...* "
when has he shown signs of OCD
piper1871
piper1871
48. RE: Aspergers?
Feb 22 2011, 4:23 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 22 2011, 4:23 PM EST
I think Reid does have Asperger's Syndrome. People with Asperger's Syndrome can get married, have friends, and high level jobs. Also, many people with Asperger's Syndrome are very smart, like Reid. I encourage people to go read what Wikipedia has to say about Asperger's Syndrome. A lot of it sounds remarkably like Reid. Here is some examples of what Wikipedia says:

"Unlike those with autism, people with AS are not usually withdrawn around others; they approach others, even if awkwardly. For example, a person with AS may engage in a one-sided, long-winded speech about a favorite topic, while misunderstanding or not recognizing the listener's feelings or reactions, such as a need for privacy or haste to leave." Sound anything like Reid. He has many moments where he has a long-winded speech about something and another member of the team has to shut him up.

"People with Asperger syndrome often display behavior, interests, and activities that are restricted and repetitive and are sometimes abnormally intense or focused." Now this one is kind of open to debate. Reid can become so focused on a case or a subject that it can take a member of the team a while to snap him out of it.

"Although inflection and intonation may be less rigid or monotonic than in autism, people with AS often have a limited range of intonation: speech may be unusually fast, jerky or loud. Speech may convey a sense of incoherence; the conversational style often includes monologues about topics that bore the listener, fails to provide context for comments, or fails to suppress internal thoughts. Individuals with AS may fail to monitor whether the listener is interested or engaged in the conversation.
3  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    
piper1871
piper1871
49. RE: Aspergers?
Feb 22 2011, 4:24 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 23 2011, 4:08 PM EST
Continued:

The speaker's conclusion or point may never be made, and attempts by the listener to elaborate on the speech's content or logic, or to shift to related topics, are often unsuccessful. Children with AS may have an unusually sophisticated vocabulary at a young age and have been colloquially called "little professors", but have difficulty understanding figurative language and tend to use language literally." Reid has a sophisticated language and as I said before, goes into long-winded speeches that members of the team have to stop.

"Individuals with AS often have excellent auditory and visual perception. Children with ASD often demonstrate enhanced perception of small changes in patterns such as arrangements of objects or well-known images; typically this is domain-specific and involves processing of fine-grained features." Reid is known for finding patterns and codes in things. It could partially be because he has AS.

"Although not required for diagnosis, physical clumsiness and atypical use of language are frequently reported....They may be poorly coordinated, or have an odd or bouncy gait or posture, poor handwriting, or problems with visual-motor integration." Reid is known for being clumsy, it is part of the reason he is so cute. Also, ever notice the way he runs? It is kind of an "odd or bouncy gait", don't you think?

So I think Reid does have Asperger's Syndrome, or at least they have left it opened up to the possibility that he has Asperger's Syndrome.

RiedisMine
50. RE: Aspergers?
Feb 23 2011, 2:27 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 23 2011, 2:29 PM EST
... Do you find this valuable?    
Reid,TalkNerdy2Me
Reid,TalkNerdy2Me
51. RE: Aspergers?
Feb 23 2011, 2:33 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 23 2011, 2:33 PM EST
hmmm. It's very possible. EPECIALLY since tonight's episode is about a child with autism (im not sure what it's called...i think "coda") and Reid is able to connect with him so well. Many of you are concerned that if he has Aspergers he wouldn't be able to do his job. But i think that he is so smart he was able to figure a way around what could keep him from doing his job. i dont know. Just a thought. But it's possible. Very possible.

Diamondback_Six
52. RE: Aspergers?
Feb 23 2011, 3:20 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 23 2011, 3:24 PM EST
Totally plausible--I have Asperger's myself paired with a profiling-related background, and several close contacts have called me "Dr. Reid's Evil Twin" on multiple occasions. Those scenes where they use CGI to show how Reid sees what normal folks don't in codes and such? They're actually a pretty good visual representation of how I sense the world around me every day...

That background was Executive/Personal Protection, which means that basically we're both Gunfighter Psychologists, just that my field and strengths are much heavier on the "Gunfighter" side while his are more on the "Psych" end. Before anybody goes off about "Nut With Gun", I should also point out that one of my pshrinks once said "I hate guns, but if they gotta be out there at least I'd prefer they be in the hands of people like him."

Disagree with a few of the end-positions, but also I respect Mr. Mantegna for "fighting the good fight" WRT the autism-spectrum--though I believe simple "understanding" is far better medicine than any possible "cure" could ever be, especially with the strengths the "spectrum" mind frequently gives to compensate for what it takes away.

As for Reid and his mother, you'd be surprised what an Asperger backed into a corner can do with keeping a household going... I've had to do it with my own mother since before I graduated high-school, though not as severely the first few years as it's been since about '03.

bluesunflower
53. RE: Aspergers?
Feb 25 2011, 12:59 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 25 2011, 1:06 AM EST
"As for Reid and his mother, you'd be surprised what an Asperger backed into a corner can do with keeping a household going... I've had to do it with my own mother since before I graduated high-school, though not as severely the first few years as it's been since about '03."
Yeah, I kinda think that's maybe how Reid is as socialized as he is (even if he is awkward), and was able to take high school classes and go to college. He was pretty much forced into interacting with people. Even his dad put him in sports. IIRC, that's one of the suggested socializing ideas, so playing baseball at a young age had to help.

Not to mention Reid in general comes across as a very wanting-to-be-social person. He loves talking with people, even if he can't seem to grasp the concept of acceptable conversation skills.
suceress
suceress
54. RE: Aspergers?
Feb 26 2011, 5:06 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 26 2011, 5:06 PM EST
I thought I posted this, but it seems it didn't go through: I think that if Reid really did have Aspergers that it would have been revealed in Coda. That was the perfect opportunity for the writers to make that link. Since they didn't I think that is proof enough that they don't intend for Reid to have Aspergers or any form of autism. I think Matthew even mentioned that the autism thing was something he played at but that the show didn't want to keep running with so it was dropped.
I know some people have mentioned something about Reid having a problem with touching as a sign of aspergers, but Reid does touch people when he wants to and he hasn't shown an aversion to being touched -- he just prefers not to shake hands. Matthew said that was because of germaphobia-- but I imagine Reid is also weary of hand-crushers.
I really haven't seen enough evidence to assume that Reid has aspergers instead of just being socially awkward because of his high intelligence (being unable to really relate to his peers) and his upbringing. He indicated that he often felt like he was the only person in the class. He felt isolated and alone. Then he was abandoned by his father and his mother had sanity issues-- that would have to make things difficult for a child.
Yes, Reid sometimes says things that are inappropriate, but that is something that is often learned. If his mother had the same habit he might have learned it from her. My mother is like that. She will say things that are completely inappropriate to people who don't want to hear it and have no business hearing it. I used to do that when I was younger because I learned it from her-- but when I was old enough to learn that it wasn't appropriate I stopped and am more careful about what I say. Sometimes I probably still slip though. It is hard to change a habit with which you were raised. (continued)
suceress
suceress
55. RE: Aspergers?
Feb 26 2011, 5:08 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 26 2011, 5:08 PM EST
I think whether or not something is appropriate depends on with whom the person is speaking. I think if Reid were to find someone with similar interests that can understand how his brain works he would have great conversations and wouldn't get the strange looks and people telling him they are sorry for asking. Do you find this valuable?    

bluesunflower
56. RE: Aspergers?
Feb 26 2011, 9:21 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 27 2011, 2:16 AM EST
"he hasn't shown an aversion to being touched"
Yeah, actually he has. For one, he nearly freaked out when the madam/real estate lady put her hand behind his (sweater covered) back in S4. He also only really seems to shake hands only when he's been inadvertently placed in a position where he can't get away with hand waving (ie he's in the forefront, not his usual background).

Besides, his low convo/social skills and aversion to touch aren't Reid's only symptoms - not even close. There's his *constant* stimming (which is often inappropriate, even if the team usually lets him get away with it; he has grown at this tho, but there are still remnants), obsessive focus, pedantic language, multiple degrees, google brain, internal world, clumsiness, genetics (schizophrenia and autism have been linked, with many autistics formerly misdiagnosed as schizophrenics), etc etc etc etc etc etc. It's not like ppl are saying Reid's Aspie tendencies are only based on 2-3 things. It's a laundry list of items. And not for nothing, but Reid does appear to fit the DSM-IV criteria for autism and/or Asperger's.

BTW - Matthew did an interview last month where he thinks this season Reid will go back to more of his earliest seasons Reid characteristics (the one, coincidentally, portrayed specifically with Asperger's in mind). We've definitely seen this on the show already.

http://www.assignmentx.com/2011/exclusive-interview-matthew-gray-gubler-digs-deep-into-criminal-minds/

bluesunflower
57. RE: Aspergers?
Feb 26 2011, 9:54 PM EST | Post edited: Mar 22 2011, 11:55 PM EDT
Couple interesting discussions for those interested (they're from Season 5):

http://community.livejournal.com/criminalxminds/825593.html?thread=5908217#t5908217

http://community.livejournal.com/criminalxminds/825593.html?thread=5912569#t5912569

http://community.livejournal.com/criminalxminds/825593.html?thread=5938681#t5938681

http://community.livejournal.com/bau_fic/580214.html?thread=2264950#t2264950

Sorry, but when I see so many with Asperger's (esp in Aspie forums and articles) saying how Reid is Just. Like. Me! (someone even just posted about it over at Yahoo!Answers after the last episode, for Pete's sake!) I tend to fall more on the "yeah it's possible" side than the "absolutely not". If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and swims like a duck, I'm far more likely to believe it's at the very least a waterfowl rather than a cow. I'm def not going to dismiss his signs by saying we haven't seen enough evidence, when we HAVE - it's just how one chooses to interpret said evidence as symptoms of autism or something else (like social isolation).

I also doubt the issue would have been "finalized" in Coda, since they've obv backburned Reid for the Prentiss arc. No mention does not equal proof. Otherwise, Reid was never a drug addict, based on "Thirteen Steps." Esp when they've been incorporating these tendencies throughout all 6 seasons. Nothing has been "dropped" since Reid STILL does these things - tho I will agree they've put less screen (forefront) emphasis on it (but then again, Reid's screen presence has sig dropped the last two seasons anyway). But 1 season of less emphasis doesn't negate the other 4 seasons of obviousness IMO.

We'll see what happens when the totality of Reid's "secret" is revealed - maybe.
TKLady
TKLady
58. RE: Aspergers?
Feb 27 2011, 8:13 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 27 2011, 8:13 AM EST
"Yeah, actually he has. For one, he nearly freaked out when the madam/real estate lady put her hand behind his (sweater covered) back in S4. "
Which episode was this, please?

bluesunflower
59. RE: Aspergers?
Feb 27 2011, 5:10 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 27 2011, 5:21 PM EST
"I think that if Reid really did have Aspergers that it would have been revealed in Coda. That was the perfect opportunity for the writers to make that link. Since they didn't I think that is proof enough that they don't intend for Reid to have Aspergers or any form of autism."
Turns out, at least two scenes about Reid's "connection" to Sammy were cut, if you watch the Coda promos. Both Rossi's "You're looking at two of the most fascinating minds I've ever encountered" and the scene where the symbols jump off the page as Reid is watching Sammy draw.

So we definitely can't say no mention = proof of dropped plot, since it's clear there was more to the episode (and the Reid/Sammy connection) than what appeared on screen. Most likely they were cut for Prentiss and/or Seaver scenes, which they may have said okay about (I'm speculating here) knowing Reid's issues are still coming up in future episodes.

And TKLady - it's "Pleasure is My Business". Reid clearly reacts to Nora Dunn's character drawing him into the house.
Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next > Last

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)