Discussion: Empty PlanetReported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 20 of 23  |  Show  posts at a time
2 | Next

bmwdandc
Empty Planet
Nov 16 2007, 2:05 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 16 2007, 2:05 PM EST
Ever since since seeing the Empty Planet episode I have been on a quest to find the book/story as it was mentioned in the episode. Search at local library lead me to a book published last in 1961 titled "Tiger By the Tail and other Science Fiction Stories" by Alan Nourse. Searched Amazon, found and ordered that book, but when it finally arrived...no such short story named Emty Planet. Also mentioned in that episode was a book/story called Allegro. Can anyone out there help me discover the source of the Empty Planet or Allegro story mentioned in the episode? Or was it just a writters fictional part to the story told in that episode?

Thanks, all who respond, in helping me on this, now, epic quest for an answer.

MB
10  out of 21 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: From a real book?
sue1313
sue1313
1. RE: Empty Planet
Nov 17 2007, 8:52 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 17 2007, 8:52 AM EST
So many of the shows on TV now have their own shop online where you can by cups, hats, etc. I do so wish the would do that for Criminal Minds. Have a online store where we could get the cool stuff and also have the books, tapes of songs and other things that are in the stories. 9  out of 15 found this valuable. Do you?    
jareaufan
jareaufan
2. RE: Empty Planet
Nov 17 2007, 11:05 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 17 2007, 11:05 AM EST
Empty Planet is a fictional plot device, Allegro was a character in the story.

I do wish someone would write it though, kinda like that "Bad Twin" book for Lost. Although I hate Lost. =]
8  out of 11 found this valuable. Do you?    
sue1313
sue1313
3. RE: Empty Planet
Nov 17 2007, 7:44 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 17 2007, 7:44 PM EST
What about the book from "Fisher King", was it based on a real book or just a plot device? 0  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    
Bessie_Mae
Bessie_Mae
4. RE: Empty Planet
Nov 17 2007, 8:05 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 17 2007, 8:05 PM EST
The Collector (the book from The Fisher King) is real. It's at amazon.com. 7  out of 9 found this valuable. Do you?    
sue1313
sue1313
5. RE: Empty Planet
Nov 18 2007, 5:58 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 18 2007, 5:58 AM EST
Thank you Bessie Mae. I will order it today. 2  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    

bmwdandc
6. RE: Empty Planet
Nov 18 2007, 7:43 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 18 2007, 7:43 AM EST
sue 1313, Bessie Mae...

Have you found something that will help me concerning Empty Planet "quest"? Tell me how The Collector may be related, please, before I order another book that isn't in any way connected! In never saw the Fisher King episode.
0  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
Bessie_Mae
Bessie_Mae
7. RE: Empty Planet
Nov 18 2007, 7:50 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 18 2007, 7:50 AM EST
The Collector has nothing to do with Empty Planet (which doesn't exist). The Collector was a book that the unsub in The Fisher King made the team find, because there was a code in it. I don't know anything about the book itself, but I remember people online trying to figure out the clues when the first part came on (it was a two part episode) and a lot of them did manage to figure out that it was the book.

It's just Empty Planet is the second episode where a book played a big part in the plot. The Fisher King was the first. That's really the only connection.
3  out of 7 found this valuable. Do you?    
sue1313
sue1313
8. RE: Empty Planet
Nov 18 2007, 8:20 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 18 2007, 8:20 AM EST
bmwdandc: Like Bessie Mae said, the Collector has nothing to do with Empty Planet. I just loved the cover of the book and I loved the 2 part story "Fisher King" (pt. 1 was the ending story of season 1 and pt 2 was the first show of season 2. I thought it would be fun to have the book and work out the code for myself. I never thought it might be a real book until you asked about Empty Planet and that is what made me ask about The Collector. 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

bmwdandc
9. RE: Empty Planet
Nov 20 2007, 12:40 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 20 2007, 12:40 AM EST
sue 1313, Bessie Me...
Thanks for the input. No reason not to believe you. Guess I should give up the OCD "quest." Just wish it wasn't so. The story line of Empty Planet unsubs (presumed) mothers' book about a future controlled by technology intrigued me. When my search at local libraries come up with Tiger by the Tail as a missing book, I assumed it was of the nature of Alchemists Cookbook, considering the "bombing" nature in the story, which then set me off on the quest. Now I have several childrens books titled Tiger by the Tail, and answers. Thanks to you both. It is better to have tried and failed, than to..... I'll check out the Collector. Oh, by the way...Allegro...another word in the Empty Planed episode, led me to find a book by Ramon Harris called Allegro's Secret. Genre...mystery/crime.
MB

1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
sojourner19
sojourner19
10. RE: Empty Planet
Nov 22 2007, 11:03 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 22 2007, 11:03 AM EST
I know that the question is already answered but I have also searched for a novel on which "Empty Planet" is maybe based. However, I came across the wikipedia article "List of fictional books from non-book media", where "Empty Planet" is also listed. (Miscellaneous from television)
Just wanted to tell you, in case you like to take a look. It is quite entertaining, especially the "books" eventually mentioned in "The Simpsons"..
3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

AlexT293
11. RE: Empty Planet
Dec 21 2007, 6:43 AM EST | Post edited: Dec 21 2007, 6:43 AM EST
I looked for Empty Planet too! It sounded like a cool book, but it doesn't exist. Why would they write a whole episode on a fake book? It seems logical that it would be easier and cooler if they based an episode on something real. Episodes are usually based on real serial killers and stuff so why not a real book??? 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
Bessie_Mae
Bessie_Mae
12. RE: Empty Planet
Dec 21 2007, 10:35 AM EST | Post edited: Dec 21 2007, 10:35 AM EST
But, they're more approximations of real killers, not the actual ones. Like there are criminals *like* Tobias Henkel (Revelations) but he's not an actual real person. So, this is the same thing. A book that might sound like a real science fiction book, but one that doesn't actually exist. Plus, a real book would have a real author and to do the story they wanted, they'd have to find an author who gave up a kid for adoption or who was okay with their lives being portrayed in a fictional way, if they hadn't. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
MissMisery
MissMisery
13. RE: Empty Planet
Dec 21 2007, 12:35 PM EST | Post edited: Dec 21 2007, 12:35 PM EST
Amazon has a book called "Dragonfall 5 and the Empty Planet" by Brian Earnshaw and Simon Stern, don't know if it is in any way related but that is all I came up with. As for the "Alchemists Cookbook" I think that was supposed to be something akin to "The Anarchist Cookbook" by William Powell, which is a real book that, should you own a copy, will probably get you put on some sort of governmental watch list for potential terrorists. I think a kid in England just got arrested a few months ago who had a copy of "The Anarchist Cookbook" although I am not sure if mere possession of the book is why he ended up in jail. 1  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
Child_of_the_KoRn
Child_of_the_KoRn
14. RE: Empty Planet
Jan 19 2010, 10:58 AM EST | Post edited: Jan 19 2010, 10:58 AM EST
For the episode they just changed the title and a few minor details to avoid paying royalties, the books actually called " Brave New World" hope this helps :) 4  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    
ShelbyWick
ShelbyWick
15. RE: Empty Planet
Mar 23 2010, 10:53 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 23 2010, 10:53 PM EDT
who is the author of that book, Child if the KoRn? there were 54 search options at hastings. 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
paradoxraven
paradoxraven
16. RE: Empty Planet
Apr 4 2010, 2:12 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 4 2010, 2:12 PM EDT
The existance of the book itself is in fact a fiction. As far as "Allegro" is concerned that is the name of the hero of that book. It's a music term defined in answers.com as:
adv. & adj. (Abbr. allo)
In a quick, lively tempo, usually considered to be faster than allegretto but slower than presto. Used chiefly as a direction.

Perhaps if you are serious about finding this book... you should assume the pen-name from the episode and write it? I would certainly find this an interresting solution to this connundrum.
Do you find this valuable?    
Child_of_the_KoRn
Child_of_the_KoRn
17. RE: Empty Planet
Apr 6 2010, 1:58 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 6 2010, 1:58 PM EDT
Aldous Huxley is the author 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
ShelbyWick
ShelbyWick
18. RE: Empty Planet
Apr 10 2010, 8:52 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 10 2010, 8:52 PM EDT
I just so happen to have read Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. And that book is not even close to the descriptions mentioned in Empty Planet on that Criminal Minds episode. It is an interesting book, but its not the same one. 3  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

Roxalyn
19. RE: Empty Planet
Jun 5 2010, 3:56 PM EDT | Post edited: Jun 5 2010, 3:56 PM EDT
You should read iRobot...the movie is good but the book is better. Although, it's not identical to the fictional book "Empty Planet" where the fictional main character is Allegro, it's still pretty close and definately a good read. 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
2 | Next

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)